This vest was designed to be a special birthday gift for my dad - “Bumpa” to his grandchildren. Simple texture patterns combine to give interest to both the design and the knitting. Handy, knit-in pockets are a must for my dad - but are optional for your special man. This vest also looks quite handsome on women!
You can make this vest with 8 (9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15) balls of Jamieson’s Shetland Heather Aran or substitute a similar aran or heavy worsted weight wool. The design features a simple garter rib pattern below the armholes and garter stitch above, with a nice welt making the transition. After seaming, the front edges are trimmed with i-cord, which also forms the buttonholes. Shank-type buttons work best with this type of buttonhole.
In addition to your yarn, you will need:
- US #7/ 4.5mm straight or circular needles of sufficient length to hold sts for back Or size needles needed to get gauge!
- US #7/ 4.5mm dpns for i-cord
- 7 - 3/4 inch shank type buttons
- 3 stitch holders or scrap yarn
- tapestry needle for seaming
The pattern consists of 5 pages, with a full schematic, and has been test knit and professionally tech edited to be clear and free of errors.