I was paging through Japanese stitch dictionaries and found the main pattern used in this shawl. It reminded me of an Egyptian cartouche and I visualized it in a deeper vibrant red. That design, the Cartouche Shawl, was published in Knitty, Winter 2011.
I received a number of requests for a rectangular version using these stitch patterns. The Cartouche Stole is worked in two sections, beginning with a provisional cast on in the centre back. The stitch patterns flow seamlessly one into another. To accomplish this, transitional charts are used. These are marked as such and must be followed with extra care as stitch patterns are altered to flow into the next design.
Pattern is 19 pages. Charts are on pages 9-13. Written instructions for charts are on pages 14-19.
New Version Uploaded on June 10, 2014 that corrects earlier errata.
- Increasing and decreasing
- Following charts
Finished Size (blocked):
Medium Stole – 17”/41.28 cm wide by 72”/170.18 cm long
Large Stole – 22.5”/57.15 cm wide by 84”/213 cm long
- Stitch markers 11 (14)
- Cable needles (2)
- Waste yarn
- Fine cotton thread in contrasting colour for life-lines
- Tapestry needle
- Glow line tape (to mark current row on chart/instructions - optional)
- Blocking wires and Tpins
Skill Level: Advanced
Yarn: 1,460 (2,281) yards/1,335 (2,086) meters of merino or wool lace weight yarn that knits up to 8 sts/inch.
Medium - Koigu ‘Lace Merino’, (292 yards/267 meters; 100% merino; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein), 5 skeins in L3011.
Other Possible Yarns:
- Malabrigo Yarn ‘Sock’, (440 yards/402 meters; 100% merino; 3.53 oz/100 grams per skein).
- Indigodragonfly ‘MerGoat Lace’, (630 yards/576 meters; 80% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon; 4.06 oz/115 grams per skein).
- Lotus Yarns ‘Miya’, (330 yards/302 meters; 70% mink, 20% merino, 10% silk; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Jade Sapphire Exotic Fibres ‘Lacey Lamb’, (825 yards/754 meters; 100% wool; 1.94 oz/55 grams per skein).
- Swans Island ‘Natural Colors Merino Fingering’, (525 yards/480 meters; 100% merino; 3.53 oz/100 grams per skein).
- Miss Babs ‘Yet’, (400 yards/366 meters; 65% merino, 35% silk; 2.29 oz/65 grams per skein).
Hard (paper) copies of this pattern may be available from your local yarn shop. Please contact them for more details.