Creek Bottom Cardigan
The texture of this pattern reminds me of the pebbly bottom of a cold creek in the mountains. If you love the look of texture patterns like bramble stitch, but hate working all those increases and decreases, then this pattern is for you! The texture comes from the different weight yarns used in a simple slip stitch pattern. The wool yarns make this sweater warm enough to wear when visiting that mountain creek!
This pattern has four pages with photos and a detailed schematic. The texture pattern is a simple combination of knits and slip stitches with plain knit rows and is given in written form. Because you will be doing shaping in the texture pattern you should be an intermediate level knitter. Like all my patterns, Creek Bottom Cardigan has been professionally tech edited, and also test knit, to be clear and free of errors.
XS (S, M, L, XL). Shown in size S.
Finished bust measurements: 32 (36, 40, 44, 48) in / 81 (91.5, 101.5, 111, 122) cm after seaming.
When choosing a size, remember that bulky yarns need more ease when wearing them. The sweater has been designed for 2 inches of positive ease after seaming.
18 stitches/34 rows = 4 inches on larger needles in texture pattern
Note: Make sure to get both stitchAND* row gauge.*
You need BOTH bulky and worsted weight yarn for the stitch pattern in this sweater, alternating them every two rows. They may be the same color or contrasting colors for a totally different look. (See photo of 2 color swatch.)
• Thick yarn = Berroco Peruvia Quick (100% Peruvian Highland Wool; 103yds/95m per 3.5oz/100g skein); color: #9114 - chipotle; 4 (5, 5, 6, 6) skeins. Or 412 (470, 500, 580, 618) yards of similar bulky weight yarn.
• Thin yarn = Berroco Peruvia (100% Peruvian Highland Wool; 174yds/160m per 3.5oz/100g skein); color: #7114 - chipotle; 5 (6, 6, 7, 7) skeins. Or 850 (930, 1000, 1150, 1225) yards of similar worsted weight yarn.
• 24 in/60 cm long circular needle, or pair of straight needles of suitable length, in size required to obtain gauge. I used a US #8/ 5mm, you may need a size or two larger or smaller.
• Circular needle, at least 40 in/100cm long, one US size smaller than above needle.
• 7 3⁄4 inch buttons
• Matching sewing thread
• Yarn needle
• Stitch holder or waste yarn
• 2 stitch markers