Every Which Way Cowl
The first time I touched Bare Naked Wools ‘Confection’ I knew two things: 1) I wanted to wrap myself in the yarn and 2) the amount of “spring” in the yarn would make it a dream to knit with. The natural colours of the yarn made it so difficult to choose just one and so I selected two shades of grey and the natural figuring on deciding on a pattern later. A few days later this cowl sprang fully designed into my dreams and quickly flew off my needles. The generous yardage in these skeins means that there was lots of yarn left to design a matching hat and fingerless mitts.
Pattern is 6 pages.
- Working in the round
- Increasing and decreasing
- Following charts
Finished Size (blocked):
56”/142.25 cm circumference by 8.75”/22.23 cm wide
- Stitch markers (1 to mark the beginning of the round)
- Glow line tape (to mark current row on charts/instructions - optional)
- Tapestry needle
- Blocking wires and Tpins
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Yarn: 419 yards/383 meters of merino/wool worsted weight yarn that knits up to 3.75-4.5 sts/inch.
Striped Version: Bare Naked Wools ‘Confection Worsted’, (210 yards/192 meters; 100% corriedale wool; 4 oz/115 grams per skein), 1 skein each of Milk Chocolate (colour A), Cookies & Cream (colour B), and White Chocolate (colour C).
Berroco ‘Blackstone Tweed’, (130 yards/119 meters; 65% wool, 25% superkid mohair, 10% angora; 1.75 oz/50 grams per skein), 4 skeins in 2646 Salt Water. (The sample was knit with 3 skeins using every yard. Knitters yardage may vary and a 4th skein may be required.)
Darker Striped Version: Bare Naked Wools ‘Stone Soup Fingering’, (475 yards/434 meters; 80% wool, 15% alpaca, 3% other, 2% plant fiber; 3.53 oz/100 grams per skein), 1 skein each of River Rock (C1), Slate (C2), Pumice (C3). Yarn held double.
Other Possible Yarns:
- Indigodragonfly ‘MCN Worsted’, (180 yards/165 meters; 80% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon; 4.06 oz/115 grams per skein).
- Malabrigo Yarn ‘Rios’, (210 yards/192 meters; 100% merino; 3.53 oz/100 grams per skein).
- madelinetosh ‘tosh vintage’, (200 yards/183 meters; 100% merino; 3.53 oz/100 grams per skein).
- Brooklyn Tweed ‘SHELTER’, (140 yards/128 meters; 100% wool; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Quince and Co. ‘Lark’, (134 yards/123 meters; 100% wool; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein.
- Dream in Color ‘Classy’, (250 yards/229 meters; 100% merino; 4 oz/113 grams per skein).
Hard (paper) copies of this pattern may be available from your local yarn shop. Please contact them for more details.