House of the Rising Sun
Worked from the top down, House of the Rising Sun is a dynamic triangular shawl that will keep you on your toes with a variety of techniques and color changes. Ripples of color end in lacy points reminiscent of sun beams. The cut out neck and central panel will keep this shawl perfectly poised on your shoulders all day.
Perfect for pairing a variegated and solid yarn, this shawl uses a beautiful combination of ripples and elongated slip stitch cables. These elongated cables create a splendid embossed effect in three bold panels. The color changes in this pattern have you working from different directions sometimes working two right sides or two wrong sides in a row.
• Main color: 1 skein 400 yds/366m variegated fingering weight wool or wool blend yarn.
• Contrast color: 1 skein 400 yds/336m solid color fingering weight wool or wool blend yarn.
Sample shown in Knitting Rose Yarns Budding Sock Yarn, 90% wool, 10% bison; 100g, 400 yds; Billowy Blue (MC), 1 skein; Absynthe (CC), 1 skein
• US size 2/2.75mm, or size needed to obtain gauge, 45”/116 cm circular needle
• yarn needle for weaving in ends
6 sts and 10 rows per 1”/2.5cm in stockinette st
• The shawl is worked with alternating color sequences of the main and contrast colors. Since the color sequence row count is odd (3 rows of main color and 1 row of contrast color) in order to conserve yarn and to avoid weaving in a ton of ends, the direction the rows are worked will change. You will always start a row at which ever end of the work the yarn that you need is currently at. As a result, half of the time the patterned rows will be worked from the wrong side. Every 3 row sequence in the main color will be plain row, patterned row, plain row. The contrast color will always be worked on a patterned row.
• Do not cut yarn when changing colors, instead carry the unused yarn loosely up the side of the work, twisting with the working yarn when possible.
• The first and last 3 stitches of every row will be worked in garter stitch. This is shown on the charts and in the written instructions.
• Written instructions are on pages 2-7. Charted instructions are on pages 8-10.
The instructions for the Body Part 1 chart say to repeat columns 40-62. Instead this should say repeat columns 41-63. This has been fixed in the downloaded version.