In the Shallows
What’s that? You have more sock yarn? You’re in luck! In the Shallows will allow you to use up just about every last yard in a cozy shawl to be tossed casually around your neck like a scarf, worn bandit style, or gently draped across your shoulders for modesty or warmth—the shallowness of the triangle makes long ends that can be tied, if you like. And the fabric choice is yours: Plain (garter) or Fancy (eyelet).
After a long detour through Stockinette, I rediscovered the joy and simple pleasure of Garter Stitch. No offense, Stockinette, but sometimes your smoothness and tendency to curl up brings me down (only a little - I love ya, Stockinette). Garter Stitch, with all its squish factor, marvelous ability to lay flat, and awesome ability to mix and mingle stitches in variegated yarn into a more cohesive whole, is awesome too. In the Shallows puts Garter Stitch to great use, and you get to decide if you want to be plain or fancy. Better yet: make one of each!
What you’ll love about knitting In the Shallows:
- 1 needle + 1 skein of yarn (choose one you love!) = yards and meters of pleasurable knitting
- Once you get started, the pattern is a breeze to remember
- A lot more fun to knit than the traditional long scarf
- Notes are included for some tips and tricks you’ll use again and again
What you’ll love about wearing In the Shallows:
- You get to wear that skein of yarn you love!
- Shape of the shawl means you can wear it as a shoulder-warming shawl, scarf with trailing ends front and back, AND bandit-style to keep your neck cozy and provide a pop of color to any outfit
- It’s the simple, elegant piece that won’t fight with other parts of your wardrobe
Width: 64 inches Depth: 14 inches
Width: 75 inches Depth: 13 inches
Plain Shawl: Fleece Artist Merino 2/6 100% superwash merino wool; 382 yards/349 meters per 115g skein; color: Ocean; 1 skein
Fancy Shawl: Plymouth Yarn Alpaca Prima 100% alpaca; 363 yards/332 meters per 100g skein; color: Cream; 1 skein
US5/3.75mm 24-inch circular needle (ndl)
18 sts x 22 ridges = 4 inches square in Garter St.
Technical editing: Joeli Caparco.
Photography: Nicholas Dames
Everything you need to create your own beautiful In the Shallows is provided in the professionally designed (by me!) pattern.