Just like Kaylee, the Firefly’s ship mechanic, these socks are practical and sturdy…with just a little bit of frill underneath it all. The top cuff showcases gently swirling garter ridges before making way for no-nonsense checked ribbing. Add a touch of pink and sparkle, and you’ve got one ‘shiny’ pair of socks. These are worked from the cuff down, on 4 DPNs or Magic Loop method.
One of three Firefly-inspired sock patterns.
NOTE: Indigodragonfly ‘Shiny’ Sock performs closer to a sport weight than a fingering weight. If substituting yarns, consider this accordingly, or consider adjusting the number of stitches within the pattern to re-size.
• Indigodragonfly ‘Shiny’ Sock 63% Merino, 20% Silk, 15% Nylon, 2% Silver, 375 yds/343m per 100g skein 1 skein (shown in ‘Up Until the Punching, it Was A Real Nice Party’)
OR similar heavy fingering-weight or sport-weight yarn
• 2.5mm/US #1.5 needles (Set of 4 double-pointed needles (DPNs) or 32”-40” circular if using Magic Loop), OR needle size required to obtain pattern gauge
• 2.75mm/US #2 needles (in lengths as above), for cuff only
• Stitch markers (if desired)
• Tapestry needle
• To fit foot/ankle circumference of 7.00-8.25(8.5-9.5) ins around.
• 28 sts/32 rows over 4 inches, on 2.5mm/US #1.5 needles in stockinette stitch OR needle size required to obtain gauge
To execute this pattern, knitters will be required to:
• Work knit and purl, and slipped sts
• Work short rows
• Work increases and decreases
• Pick up stitches
• Follow charted stitch patterns
• Execute a heel flap and turned heel
Errata for transition between cuff and leg:
The first two transition rows between cuff and leg should read as follows:
Round 1: k2tog, k2, kfb, k6. w&t, p2, w&t, k3, w&t, p4, w&t, k13. Repeat instruction between asterisks a total of 5(6) times BUT, on the final repeat, instead of k13 work as follows: k7, kfb, k2, ssk.
Round 2: K all sts.