O Captain My Captain
This pattern and the others in the Socks For Big Damn Heroes collection are currently on hiatus and awaiting a pattern reformat. I hope to have them back up soon!
These socks are inspired by Captain Malcolm Reynolds of Firefly. They’re a little bit practical, a little bit noble, and a little bit…broken. Charted cable patterns twist along the leg and instep of the sock, and include ‘breaks’ in the charts which may be inserted as desired. The result is an attractive and unique sock that any ‘Browncoat’ would surely be proud of. These are worked from the cuff down, using 4 DPNs or Magic Loop method, on fingering weight yarn.
One of three Firefly-inspired sock patterns.
• Indigodragonfly Merino Sock 80% merino/10% cashmere/10% nylon, 390 yds/373m per 100g/3.5oz skein, 1 skein (shown in ‘Captain Tightpants’)
• 2.5mm/US #1.5 needles (Set of 4 double-pointed needles (DPNs) or 32”-40” circular if using Magic Loop), OR needle size required to obtain pattern gauge
• Stitch markers (if desired)
• Tapestry needle
• To fit foot/ankle circumference of 7.00-8.25(8.5-10.0) ins around.
• 32 sts/40 rows over 4 inches, on 2.5mm/US #1.5 needles in stockinette stitch OR needle size required to obtain gauge
To execute this pattern, knitters will be required to:
• Work knit and purl sts
• Work simple cable twists
• Work decreases
• Pick up stitches
• Follow charted stitch patterns
• Execute a heel flap and turned heel