Pattern description from The Celtic Collection: “The Book of Kells is without doubt the most splendid of all the Celtic manuscripts. Its pages explode with an almost unbelievable maze of incredibly fine and gorgeously coloured patterns that I find irresistible. For the practical purpose of kitting, I chose a small repetitive motif which fills a diamond shape of about three centimetres on one of the pages. For this sweater I repeated the shape, then threw in rich colours of yarn, virtually at random, to give an impression of exotic profusion. You can work the colors exactly as I have done, through you may find it more relaxing to use them at will.”
- To fit chest/bust 81-91 (97-107, 112-117) cm/32-36 (38-42, 44-46)”
- Underarm 104 (116, 132) cm/41 (46, 52)”
- Length from top of shoulder 63.5 (66.5, 69) cm/25 (26¼, 27¼)”
- Sleeve length 47 (49, 51) cm/18.5 (19¼, 20)”
- Yarn: Rowan DDK; Lambswool Tweed; Kid/Silk; Rowan LDK
- A. Holly Kid/Silk (990) 50g; B. Dark Emerald DDK (658) 100g; C. Kohl Lambswool Tweed (185) 200g; D. Steel Blue Kid/Silk (991) 25g; E. Steel Blue Kid/Silk (991) 25g; F. Old Gold Kid/Silk (989) 75g; G. Olive DDK (407) 50g; H. Smoke Kid/Silk (998) 25g; I. Garnet Kid/Silk (992) 50g; J. Potpourri Kid/Silk (996) 25g; K. Crushed Berry Kid Silk (993) 75g; L. Deep Violet DDK (652) 50g; N. Rose Pink DDK (70) 50g; O. Ruby Red DDK (651) 50g; P. Pillar Box LDK (45) 50g; Q. Rust DDK (662) 50g; R. Red Rust DDK (627) 100g; S. Russet DDK (663) 100g.
- One Pair each 3¾mm (US5) and 4mm (US6) needle.
- 1 Set of double-pointed or 40cm 16in circular 3¾mm (US5) needle
- 2 stitch holders
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
The Celtic Collection was published in 1992.
Pattern is written for 18 colors in several different yarns, some of which have been discontinued. A kit is available from Virtual Yarns, using Alice Starmore Hebridean 3-ply yarn, for approximately $190 to $260.