Lilac Trail is the lighter, more spring-like version of the bulky-weight Nordic Trail, for those who live in warmer climates (and bulky is just not practical) or if you are looking for a lighter vest to transition you into spring. Using DK-weight yarn, it’s completely seamless and worked from the bottom-up. An easy lace pattern is found on the front pieces as well as on the back and pattern instructions detail each row of this lace pattern for each individual size. The very detailed instructions are ideal for the beginner knitter (even if you have never done lace work before), and many of the instructions are divided out by size to make pattern reading even easier.
Other techniques used in this pattern:
- picking up stitches
- 3-needle bind off
Finished Bust: 33 (36, 39, 41.75, 44.75, 47.75, 50.5)” (Choose a size that is approx. 2” larger than your actual bust measurement.)
Gauge: 5.5 sts & 7.5 rws = 1” in Stockinette stitch
Yarn: Approx. 664 (724, 803, 886, 965, 1059, 1147) yds of DK-weight yarn, shown in Vintage DK by Berroco (50% Acrylic, 40% Wool, 10% Nylon; 100g = 288 yds), 3 (3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5) skeins.
Needles and other supplies:
- US 6 32” circular knitting needle or size needed to obtain gauge
- US 5 16” circular knitting needle or 1 size smaller than size needed to obtain gauge
- Extra US 6 needle (or size needed to obtain gauge) to be used during 3 needle bind-off technique (can be a circular, DPN or straight needle)
- 6 stitch markers, 4 of one kind for sides, 2 of a different kind for lace panel
- 4 pieces of scrap yarn, approx 10” in length
- Tapestry needle to weave in ends
ERRATA 4/27/12: For 36” size instructions only: in the back section, row 1 should end with: “k to end”, not “k to 3 sts before end, k2tog, k1”.