With the Triyang collection, you have the option of using just one or two of the sections of this pattern, combined with one or two sections of the other patterns, and/or garter stitch or stockinette.
Same as the Triyang pattern, Liy is constructed modularly, with no picked up stitches, in 3 narrow triangles, joining to make a long, asymmetrical triangle.
Liy is sized based on gauge - it is pictured in worsted weight, making a medium sized piece. Use a heavier weight to make a larger version. (Detailed sizing info is below.)
All stitch patterns are made with slipped stitches and twisted stitches (mini-cables); only 1 yarn is used at a time.
All stitch patterns are charted and written; the charts and written rows are on their own pages so that if you want to work from only the charts, you can skip printing 5 pages of written rows, and if you want to use only the written, you can skip printing 5 pages of charts.
The pattern also includes a schematic, construction/technique notes, close-up photos of the stitch patterns.
‣ approx 450-700 yards / 410-640 meters total DK-bulky weight yarn, in two solid or semi-solid colorways (approx half & half in each color) - yarn weight/gauge determines size
-- sample is in Black Trillium Fibres Pebble Worsted (DC is Phoenix Rising, LC is Saltwater), approx 500 yards / 455 meters total used
‣ needles sized to match yarn - a circular needle 32”/80cm or longer for holding the stitches
Choose your yarn based on the kind of fabric you want. The sample was knit at a standard worsted weight gauge, semi-solid colorways. You can get different looks with different kinds of textures, colorways, etc.
Size will depend on your yarn weight/gauge. Using a gauge smaller than 6 stitches per inch will make a very small shawl, so only larger sizes are given (around DK and heavier).
‣ 6 sts/inch/2.5cm makes a length around 46 inches / 117 cm.
‣ 5.5 sts/inch/2.5cm makes a length around 49 inches / 124 cm.
‣ 5 sts/inch/2.5cm makes a length around 53 inches / 135 cm.
‣ 4.5 sts/inch/2.5cm makes a length around 60 inches / 152 cm.
‣ 4 sts/inch/2.5cm makes a length around 66 inches / 168 cm.
‣ 3.5 sts/inch/2.5cm makes a length around 75 inches / 190 cm.
These are just general guidelines; results will vary depending on yarn, exact gauge, how you block it, etc.
Sample length: 59 inches / 150 cm; height: 15 inches / 38 cm (size US 8 (5mm) needles, for a blocked stockinette gauge of approx 19 sts per 4 inches / 10 cm).
Estimates are very approximate, since gauge can vary greatly within the same weight. Aran will take around 600 yards; bulky around 700.
The pattern includes some more notes about estimating your yardage after section 1 to check if you’ll have enough to last to the end, gauge, using more colors, size proportions, measurements of the samples.
For yardage estimating if you want to use more than 2 colors, the first (bottom) section uses approximately 33% of the yardage, section 2 (middle) uses approx 19%, and section 3 (top) uses approx 48%, so plan accordingly.