Located on the beautiful west coast of Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Mabou is a centre of Celtic music, Gaelic culture and the beauty that is Cape Breton. Situated in Inverness County, where Les Suêtes sometimes blow strong enough to move buildings off their foundations, Mabou is home to the famous musical Rankin family and plays a significant part in keeping the Gaelic language and traditions alive. The town’s website states,
“Your only difficulty will be leaving!”
The pattern stitches in the Mabou designs incorporate small reminders of the ocean and landscape that surround this exceptional Canadian treasure – the sweeping hills and valleys, the dance of the waves.
We hope you enjoy these little treasures.
A beautifully scalloped cast on and a pattern stitch that combines pulled yarn loops with textured panels create the brim for this otherwise Stockinette hat. An interesting yet quick knit, the pattern stitch for the brim of this hat lends itself especially well to variegated and tonal yarns. A purl turning ridge and a few rows of ribbing prevent the Stockinette portion from curling outward.
Sizes: XS (S, M, L)
Finished Circumference: 18.75 (20, 21.25, 22.5)” / 47.5 (51, 54, 57)cm; Height: 6.5 (7.25, 7.75, 8.25)” / 16.5 (18.5, 19.5, 21)cm
160 (175, 210, 240)yds / 146 (160, 192, 219)m worsted weight yarn
- Sample was knit in Cascade 220 Superwash Paints (100% Hand Painted Superwash Wool; 220yds / 200m per 100g) in Grape
- 4.5mm / US7 circular 16” / 41cm (see Needle Note page 2) or size required to obtain gauge
- One spare DPN or cable needle (temporary stitch holder)
Stitch marker, tapestry needle
For knitting in the round, a variety of methods may be used:
• set of 4 or 5 DPN or
• circular needle 16” / 40cm with set of DPNs to work the crown shaping or
• two circulars 16” / 40cm or longer for Two Circulars Method or
• one circular 32” / 81cm or longer for Travelling Loop or Magic Loop
The Mabou Collection eBook (27 pages) includes four patterns:
- Mabou Hat (worsted-weight yarn)
- Mabou Cowl (worsted-weight yarn)
- Mabou Cowl (fingering-weight yarn)
- Mabou Fingerless Mitts (fingering-weight yarn)
A huge thank you to Raveler marthajane73 for test knitting the patterns in the Mabou Collection!!
Impeccable Knits now has a Ravelry group; come join us in the Impeccable Knitters Gathering Place
Pattern also available at: