Mixed Media Pillows
Pattern description from Alterknits: “I started designing these pillows by knitting only with strips of silk fabric. I liked the effect but felt they needed to be softer, both to the touch and to the eye. After experimenting with many different types of yarn, I decided to combine the silk fabric with a strand of mohair-blend yarn and a strand of linen yarn to create a luxurious new fabric with a more complex texture. I let the ends of the silk fabric stick out rather than weaving them in because I like the way they look, but you can weave yours in if you prefer a more pristine finish.”
- Small (medium, large)
- 16” x 12” (16” x 16”, 18” x 18”)
Yarn and Fabric :
- Louet British mohair (79% mohair, 13% wool, 9% nylon; 105 yards/50 grams): 2 (3, 3) skeins. Shown in #8776 deep rich red (#1108 dark gray, #9544 olive din).
- Louet Euroflax Linen Sport Weight (100% linen; 270 yards/100 grams): 1 (2, 2) skeins. Shown in #21036 madeira (#21026-2 moss lake, #21006 seaway mix).
- 44”/45” dupioni or chiffon silk fabric (100% silk): 2.5 (3.5, 4.5) yards.
- Note: Dupioni silk creates a stiffer fabric the silk chiffon.
Needles: One 32” long circular (circ) needle size US 17 (12 mm). Change needle size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.
Notions: Stitch markers, cable needle (cn; size Large only), three 7/8” buttons (sizes Medium and Large only), acrylic quilting ruler, rotary cutter and mat; pillow form to fit size you are making. Note: You may wish to cover pillow form with fabric, as pillow form may show through the knitted fabric.
This pattern is made with both yarns and a strip of the fabric held together throughout. The ends of the fabric are left hanging and not woven in to add more texture.