Penny is a seamless vest that is knit in one piece from side to side. The pattern is written for 5 different yarn weights: fingering, sport, dk/light worsted, worsted/aran, and bulky, so you can use whatever yarn you like (yardage required for each yarn weight is listed below). Simple, quick and versatile, Penny is a relaxing knit that will make a perfect light layering piece.
Sample photographed is size small and uses 2 skeins of Knit One Crochet Too’s Soie et Lin (a silk/linen blend) in the Cumin colorway. To acheive a similar drape, I recommend using a yarn with fiber content such as linen, cotton, silk, bamboo, cashmere, alpaca, etc.
Sizes: S (M, L, XL)
Crossback Measurement: approx. 13 (14.5, 16.5, 18)” / 33 (37, 42, 46) cm
(Crossback measurement is more important that bust circumference in this pattern. Measure your crossback width, which is shoulder blade to shoulder blade.) Size recommendations are listed below based on ‘standard’ crossback measurement for different bust sizes but I recommend measuring your own as these standards can vary across different individuals:
Based on ‘Standard’ Crossback Measurements:
Bust Sizes 30-34: typically would knit the size small
Bust Sizes 35-39: typically would knit the size medium
Bust Sizes 40-44: typically would knit the size large
Bust Sizes 45-52: typically would knit the size x-large
Yarn Weight, Gauge & Recommended Needle Size:
- Fingering: approx. 6 sts = 1” in St st on US 4 32” circular needle or size needed to obtain gauge
- Sport: approx. 5.25 sts = 1” in St st on US 6 32” circular needle or size needed to obtain gauge
- DK/Light Worsted: approx. 4.25 sts = 1” in St st on US 7 32” circular needle or size needed to obtain gauge
- Worsted/Aran: approx. 3.75 sts = 1” in St st on US 9 32” circular needle or size needed to obtain gauge
- Bulky: approx. 3 sts = 1” in St st on US 10.5 32” circular needle or size needed to obtain gauge
Note: Recommended needle sizes listed above are approx. 1-2 sizes larger than you typically would knit with for each particular yarn weight in order to create a drapey fabric. But, you can choose to use whatever needle size you like to create the kind of fabric you prefer - just make sure to follow the instructions based on your gauge.
- Fingering: 866 (1088, 1354, 1626) yds
- Sport: 758 (952, 1184, 1424) yds
- DK/Light Worsted: 582 (732, 910, 1094) yds
- Worsted/Aran: 542 (680, 846, 1018) yds
- Bulky: 434 (544, 678, 814) yds