Looking for something easy to knit and easy to wear? But it should be special, right? Knit this pullover with a few little tricks to make it special, then flip it inside-out to wear. Amaze your friends with all the purling you suffered through—they don’t need to know!
Purly Pullover is our sweater for Season Two of The Sweater with Kathleen Dames. Worked in the round from the bottom up, this sweater is a seamless raglan with some unusual elements. Almost exclusively knit stitch, you turn it inside out to wear it “purly”. Written in my usual seven sizes, you can follow the Sport or DK version of the pattern.
Over the course of our 12-week season, we will knit this pattern together. I’ve already knit a sport version in tosh pashmina, so I’ll be knitting a new one in Happy Fuzzy Yarns DK Merino - yum! You can subscribe to the podcast on YouTube or iTunes.
Now that Season Two has ended, purchase your copy of the pattern on this page with that handy “buy it now” link in the top right corner.
What you’ll love about knitting Purly Pullover:
- Knit along with me! I’ll take you through all the steps that go into knitting and finishing your beautiful sweater.
- It’s almost ALL knitting! The few purl stitches in this sweater are decorative. Sometimes we just need a good, healthy knit-fest.
- No waist shaping and basic sleeve increases make this the ultimate mindless knit -- choose your fantastic yarn accordingly!
What you’ll love about wearing Purly Pullover:
- Comfy, not sloppy, fit. I call this my “fancy sweatshirt”.
- Knitting friends will think you purled the whole thing. It will be our secret :)
- Wearing the knit side of the fabric against your skin may spoil you for other knits.
Finished bust circumference 28 (32, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52) inches; Sport version shown in size 40 with 2 inches positive ease
- Sport: Madelinetosh Pashmina (75% Merino, 15% Silk, 10% Cashmere 360 yds/329 m per 100 g skein); color: Bloomsbury; 2 (3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4) skeins or approx. 700 (825, 950, 1080, 1250, 1350, 1450) yds sportweight yarn
- DK: Happy Fuzzy Yarns DK Merino (100% Merino Wool 240 yds/219 m per 100 g skein); color: Peony; 3 (3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5) skeins or approx. 550 (675, 750, 850, 950, 1075, 1200) yds DK-weight yarn
- Sport: US3 40-inch circular needle
- DK: US5 40-inch circular needle
- Waste yarn or stitch holders for underarms
- Tapestry needle
Sport: 22 sts x 32 rows = 4 inches in Stockinette Stitch
DK: 20 sts x 28 rows = 4 inches in Stockinette Stitch
- casting on
- binding off
- working in the round
Technical Editing: Corrina Ferguson
Photography: Nicholas Dames