Silly Court Jester / Elf Hat Crochet
Elf, Jester, Joker, Clown or Fool. Super Silly and Super Fun! Perfect hat for Christmas, Halloween, Mardi Gras, Renaissance festivals, team spirit or any other fun event.
Pattern is written using US terms.
Please note, this is a crochet pattern, not a finished hat.
The pattern has been rewritten/revised in Sept. 2015 to include 5 sizes and a striped panel.
MAKE IT YOUR OWN!
Get creative and mix it up.
- Make the ribbing in one color and each of the three panels in different colors. Then, join the crown sections with different colors.
- Attach pom-poms or tassels instead of jingle-bells.
- Use up scraps and make each striped section out of different colors.
- Celebrate Mardi-Gras and make yours in green, purple and gold.
- Are you a Fool for Love? Make yours in pinks and purples to celebrate Valentine’s Day.
- Make three or four color stripes.
- Make in local high school or favorite sports team’s colors
SIZING: Sizes are approximate. Please measure largest part of head. Hats will stretch to fit the following sizes:
- Extra Small: fits approximate 17” - 19” head circumference (average 6 mos/toddler)
- Small: fits approximate 18½” - 20½” head circumference (average child/tween)
- Medium: fits approximate 20½” - 22½” head circumference (small teen/adult)
- Large: fits approximate 22½” - 24” head circumference (large teen/adult)
- Extra Large: fits approximate 24” - 25½” head circumference (extra-large teen/adult)
GAUGE: Gauge is very important for proper sizing of the hat. Please take the time to check for proper gauge and adjust yarn or hook(s) size as necessary. Many users of this pattern have noted they needed to go down to an H or G hook to get gauge and/or have had to use different sized hooks for each gauge measurement.
Ribbing gauge: 8 ribbing repeats (16 rows) = 4”
Crown gauge: 14 sc and 16 rows = 4”
Yarn: Lion Brand, Heartland 100% acrylic
5oz/142g, 251yd/200m per skein, or equivalent (medium-4), worsted/heavy worsted weight yarn
Please note, yarn amounts are approximate. Allow for at least a 10% variance when purchasing yarn.
Yarn amounts given are for two solid panels and one two colored striped panel.
• CA, color A (ribbing and joining) (red)
• CB, color B , stipes and a solid panel (green)
Joshua Tree #174
• CC, color C , stripes and a solid panel (white)
• CA .8oz/23g, 41yd/32m
• CB & CC 1.3oz/38g, 67yd/54m
• CA .8oz/25g, 44yd/35m
• CB & CC 1.4oz/41g, 72yd/58m
• CA 1oz/27g, 48yd/38m
• CB & CC 1.6oz/46g, 81yd/64m
• CA 1.2oz/34g, 60yd/48m
• CB & CC 1.8oz/51g, 90yd/72m
• CA 1.3oz/38g, 67yd/54m
• CB & CC .52oz/75g, 133yd/106m
Hook: I (5.5 mm) or size(s) needed to obtain correct gauge. See gauge note, you may need smaller hooks.
Notions: Stitch marker, yarn needle, 3 jingle bells
SKILL LEVEL: Easy
PROMOTION! All Crochet by Darleen Hopkins Patterns and Pattern Collections (eBooks) on Ravelry are Buy 2, Get 1 Free. No coupon needed. Ravelry will automatically deduct the least expensive pattern from your total.
Please note, this pattern is copyrighted and may not be reproduced or redistributed. Completed hats may be sold but please credit Darleen Hopkins as the designer. If selling online, a link to my website is appreciated.
After you make it, and tag it with #CbyDH to be added to the “Show off Your Crochet by Darleen Hopkins Projects” Pinterest page.