The ORIGINAL button-crotch romper, in development for over two years! You have a plethora of options with this unique romper pattern, chose a short-sleeve, shorts style summer Snuggler, or long winter version. Add ruffles or lace for a girly romper or make it boyish with more masculine styling. Through two body types (balloon at the hip for a girly look or fitted for gender neutral or boyish) you get a different look. Please be sure you are working from an UPDATED version and that you have downloaded the errata for ALL your options, this is a large lot of information included!
Included in the Snuggler romper pattern (which is sized more like an ebook!) is the two style options of open at the crotch for easy access to the bottom for diaper changes or closed for a full coverage, pant leg style. Snuggler rompers feature a unique shape, this is no knitted tube with legs and sleeves!
You can add a hood, footies for the small sizes, ANIMAL ears to your hood and button-on mitts or feet for the newborn size. Chose an offset button chest so you can add a hoodie pocket to the front- perfect for the adventurous toddler!
You may also chose to make your romper in half linen stitch for a completely original and unique look. It’s like getting TWO patterns in ONE! In the half linen version you will need slightly larger needles to achieve proper gauge.
I would rate this as an advanced beginner to intermediate pattern.
What you’ll need:
- 420 (440, 490, 545, 695, 750, 825) yards of worsted weight yarn. Account for approximately 80% main color yarn and 20% for trim color. Striping can be done with 50/50-60/40% depending on options.
- 16” circular knitting needles in sizes 4, 5 and 7 for stockinette romper
- 16” circular knitting needles in sizes 4, 5 and 8 for half linen romper
- 4-5 double pointed needles; size 5 and 7 for stockinette and size 5 and 8 for half linen; these are used to knit the legs, arms and leg cuffs.
- 4 stitch markers (I like to use different colors to distinguish the front from the back)
- scrap yarn or stitch holders (2)
- size G (4mm) crochet hook
- yarn/darning needle
- ¾” to 1” buttons; since this is completely size and style dependent the amount of buttons you will need may vary. For newborn size with button crotch 2 1” buttons were used for chest closure and 8 ¾” buttons were used on the crotch. For 24 month size with button crotch 3 1” buttons were used for chest closure and 10 ¾” buttons were used on the crotch.