When it’s cold out there, quick knits are the answer! The Squall hat is quick and cozy knit for winter, featuring simple eye-catching cables and the comforting texture of garter stitch. By the time you stop to ask yourself how long it’s taken you to knit it, you’ll already be knitting another one.
The Squall hat uses 1 skein of Sweet Georgia superwash chunky wool, or the equivalent yardage of your preferred chunky wool. Worked in the round from the bottom up.
Technical editing by Maeve Ulrick, modeling by Anastasia P. and Jane D.
• Sweet Georgia Superwash Chunky 100% superwash merino wool, 120 yds per 100g skein, 1 skein; OR your preferred chunky wool yarn
• 6.5mm/US 10.5 needles – 16” circular needle AND set of 4-5 double-pointed needles (DPNs), OR DPNs only
• 5.0mm/ US 8 needles - 16” circular needle, OR set of 4-5 DPNs
• Cable needle
• Tapestry needle
• Stitch markers
• One size fits most adults; comfortably fits head circumference 21-23 ins around. Sizing is easily modified by changing needle size
• 3.5 sts and 7 rounds over 1 inch in garter stitch on 6.5mm needles OR needle size required to obtain gauge
• Working in the round
• Knitting and purling
• Basic cable stitches with a cable needle
• Increasing and decreasing