Save 25% on this pattern during the Indie Holiday Gift-A-Long Sale, starting at 8 pm EST 11/19 through midnight EST 11/27. Use the coupon code giftalong2015.
Join the Ravelry group here to share your yarn choices, knitting progress and show off your finished projects
Every Librarian needs cozy socks for warmth in drafty libraries or when chasing after overdue books. These toe-up, unisex socks pay homage to the librarian’s stock-in-trade – The Stacks. The stitch pattern evokes bookshelves while the top border brings to mind the drawers of a card catalogue. Pattern is easily reversed for those that prefer to work socks top-down and can be customized with longer legs for those wishing to wear them with a skirt.
Worked toe-up, the socks are offered in 6 sizes (XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL) to work for both men and women’s sizes and are best worked in a solid, tonal or semi-solid M/C/N sock yarn. They feature a wide toe and the stitch pattern continues down the heel flap. The “stacks” stitch pattern is worked on the instep and up the leg, made up of 2 x 2 ribs that form the “books” and sections of twisted stitches form the “shelves.” The border pattern is comprised of st st and reverse st st boxes that bring to mind a row of card catalogue drawers. Stitch patterns are provided in chart and written form.
Pattern is 9 pages.
Skill Level: Intermediate
Yarn: 360 - 600 yards/329 - 549 meters any MCN blend (Merino, Cashmere, Nylon) fingering weight yarn with 8 sts/inch.
Sample: Pagewood Farm ‘Alyeska Hand Dyed Sock Yarn’, (360 yds/329 meters; 80% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon; 4 oz/113 grams per skein), 1 (1, 1, 2) 2,2 skein(s) in Mississippi Mud. Size Medium.
Finished Sizes (blocked):
X-Small, (Small, Medium, Large) X-Large, XX-Large
Circumference of foot - 6 (7, 8, 9) 10, 11 inches/15 (17.5, 20, 22.5) 25, 27.5 cm, unstretched
Fits up to – 8.5 (9.5, 10.5, 11.5) 12.5, 13.5 inches/21.25 (23.75, 26.25, 28.75) 31.25, 34.25 cm, stretched
Leg Length – 6.75 inches/17.15 cm, measured from end of heel flap
Other possible yarns:
- Handmaiden Fine Yarns ‘Cashbah’, (355 yds/325 meters; 80% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon; 4.06 oz/115 grams per skein).
- The Sanguine Gryphon ‘Bugga’, (412 yds/377 meters; 70% merino, 20% cashmere, 10% nylon; 4 oz/113 grams per skein).
- String Theory Hand Dyed Yarn ‘Caper Sock’, (400 yds/366 meters; 80% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon; 4 oz/113 grams per skein).
- Indigodragonfly ‘MCN Sock’, (375 yds/343 meters; 80% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon; 4.06 oz/115 grams per skein).
- Creatively Dyed Yarn ‘Luxury’, (360 yds/329 meters; 80% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon; 4.44 oz, 126 grams per skein).
- Tanis Fiber Arts ‘Purple Label Cashmere Sock’, (400 yds/366 meters; 70% merino, 20% cashmere, 10% nylon; 4.06 oz/115 grams per skein).
- Zen Yarn Garden ‘Serenity 20’, (400 yds/366 meters; 70% merino, 20% cashmere, 10% nylon; 4 oz/113 grams per skein).
- Stitch markers (2)
- Glow line tape (to mark current row on chart - optional)
- Tapestry needle
- Increasing and decreasing
- Knitting in the round
- Toe up sock construction
- Short rows/wrap & turn
- Twisted Stitches
- Following charts
Hard (paper) copies of this pattern can be ordered from Shall We Knit?