I’ve made Aidan lots of hats and socks, but this will be the first time I’ve made him a sweater. He picked out the pattern and the yarn color. The stitch pattern looks great in the yarn, and I think the finished sweater will really suit Aidan.
So … I finished this, blocked it, and sewed some buttons on before realizing that it was way too long, especially in the sleeves and at the yoke. The sweater was also dipping down in the back when Aidan wore it, which is not a good look at all. I ended up ripping back and reknitting the yoke, reworking the shaping to eliminate about 10 rows. In the process, I also ripped back each of the sleeves by about an inch and eliminated all of the short row shaping originally written into the pattern to avoid the sweater drooping at the back. I probably could have kept some of the short row shaping, but there’s no way I’m ripping back again.
Aidan and I are both much happier with the fit now, so it was totally worth the extra work. Hopefully Aidan enjoys wearing it!