Lemon
Finished
February 8, 2013
May 1, 2013

Lemon

Project info
Lemon by Helga Isager
Knitting
me!
medium - modified
Needles & yarn
US 2½ - 3.0 mm
Isager Strik Spinni (Wool 1)
476 yards in stash
2.6 skeins = 884.0 yards (808.3 meters), 130 grams
10s
390930
Blue-green
Hillsborough Yarn Shop in Hillsborough, North Carolina
March 2, 2011
Notes

I am loving knitting this. If only I didn’t have other projects to finish up.

Front and back panels are quick knits. A bit concerned that my stitches don’t look very even in spots. The yarn is lovely, but a bit sticky. Have to work harder to keep my tension even. For a shorter garment (I’m only 5’ tall), I knit a total of 12 lateral braids vs 15. It may be a tad too short: 13 may have been better.

Onward to the welts! Keeping fingers crossed that they won’t be that difficult. Pattern instructions not helpful.

Once I understood welt construction, it wasn’t that difficult. Tedious, though, with so many stitches and fine yarn. After picking up & knitting stitches along the panels (joining panels with CO stitches – backward loop CO), I threaded a lifeline through the row. When ready to construct the welt, I placed 25-30 stitches at a time on a US 1 dpn to knit those stitches tog with row 4 stitches creating the welt with row 5. (If that makes any sense.) This made it easy to check the alignment as I went along. If I got off track, I only had to knit back a few stitches. Checked completed welt (made sure each stitch was a k2tog) and found one dropped stitch, marked it, easily fixed it when purling back. The stickiness of the Spinni helps keep a dropped stitch in place.

Note on CO used to join the panels: at first I thought I should have used a knitted CO, but after purling the first row, the shoulder looks great.

Whew! Glad that first welt is finished.

To decrease the amount of fabric on the sides, I knit 6 stitches rather than 4 before turning when knitting the short rows. Knitting the sides and finally the bottom edging seemed to take forever. I added 2 lateral-stitch rounds to the bottom for a total of eight. (See mailee’s Lemon.)

End notes: I didn’t stretch the top when I blocked it. Simply pulled it into shape and let it dry. May have used a few pins to hold the welts straight. One side ended up with a crinkled look. Pretty sure one or more of my cats took a walk across it. Thought the blowing fan would keep them off the garment while it dried. Nope.

I want less pull where the sides meet the bottom edge and some space between the lateral braids on the bottom (picture in amimono booklet shows more space), so I will try blocking the top with some stretch to try for a bit more length and additional width in the bottom edge. If that doesn’t work, I can rip out the bottom and rework. Oh joy.

Decided I am being way too picky. The top looks fine and is very wearable. I’m sure this is one knit I’ll enjoy!

viewed 490 times | helped 7 people
Finished
February 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
 
About this pattern
263 projects, in 473 queues
Beth2's overall rating
Beth2's clarity rating
Beth2's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Isager Strik
Lace
100% Wool
328 yards / 50 grams

3567 projects

stashed 3809 times

Beth2's star rating
  • Originally queued: February 19, 2011
  • Project created: February 8, 2013
  • Finished: May 4, 2013
  • Updated: May 24, 2013
  • Progress updates: 9 updates