For the scarf pattern, I’m using Lacy Baktus.
Starting January 1, 2012: I’ll do 2 rows a day throughout the year, using colors to represent the sky that day. I’ll increase until I’ve done 183 ridges (ending July 1), then decrease.
Holding 3 strands of yarn together.
I’m keeping the project on my sewing table so that I can keep all of the yarns from getting too tangled. I ended up putting the little yarn balls in ziplock bags to help keep them untangled.
I also created a monthly log template so that I could keep track of what I did each day. When I go out of town, I can just take the log with me, and do the knitting when I get back. I have columns for the day, a description of the sky, the yarns used, the place (if not home), and also a column to mark when I actually do the knitting, in case I’m not able to knit the rows on the actual day.
I carried the extra yarn strands across the top edge as I went. Some places looked OK, others looked a bit ragged, so I finished off the scarf by working a single-crochet edge across the top using 2 strands of the main blue yarn.
I estimate having used about 1600-1700 yards of yarn for this project, based on the weight of the completed scarf (111 grams).