I made a few changes to the pattern. Because I wanted a smaller scarf, instead of a shawl, I knit less row repeats for each section. In the final section, instead of doubling the stitches for the ruffle, I added in an extra stitch every fourth stitch. On 2 rows before the picot bind-off, I knit both rows, instead of working in stockinette stitch. This caused the picot to lay flat, instead of curling. I still needed to block this piece though.
It turned out beautifully. The true color of the yarn is more evident in the first photo. I have many skeins of this yarn and will make something else with it.