ItalianDishKnits' projects
Northman Mittens
Finished
December 20 2010
January 2 2011
Project info
Northman Mittens
Northman Mittens by David Schulz
Knitting
me
S (should have knitted Medium)
Needles & yarn
US 3 - 3.25 mm
Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light
288 yards in stash
001
Gray
Jimmy Bean's
Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light
323 yards in stash
901
Black
Rae's Yarn Boutique in Lansing, Michigan
November 5, 2010
Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light
288 yards in stash
4209
Gray
Jimmy Bean's
Rowan Kidsilk Haze
458 yards in stash
508
Pink
Jimmy Beans
January 6, 2011
Notes

I love, love these mittens!

Although the pattern calls for a worsted weight yarn, I know that I get a gauge of 7 stitches to an inch with Dk weight on #3 needles (stranded knitting), so that is what I used. I got an exact gauge of 7 stitches to an inch but the mitten is a little small, even though the small measurements in the pattern were my size. So I’ve decreased some stitches on the liner so it will fit. It’s definitely snug. If I knit these mittens again, i will knit them on #4 needles and knit the medium size. I think the small size in this pattern is a true small, whereas the small size in the Fiddlehead mittens is a little larger.

The pattern calls for a 5-yard long tail at cast on - this is WAY too long! I don’t know why David did this. You need half that amount.

I love the braided edging.

A big plus, I think, in this pattern is that he gives you charts for making mittens with either a dark yarn as the main color or a light yarn as the main color. This is really helpful.

I love this pattern. It knits up remarkably fast.

I knitted one liner and decided the mittens were too small for a liner (especially the Brushed Suri, which is so thick) so I ripped out the liner. I still would like a lining, so I’ve got some Rowan KidSilk Haze ordered, which is a lace weight and I think I could knit a thin liner that would fit with that.

UPDATE: I’ve reknitted the liner in the pink KidSilk Haze (held double) and it’s thin enough for the liner to fit nicely. Now the mittens are perfect and I love the pretty pink of the Flower Kidsilk.

The liners took exactly 1 skein of the Kidsilk Haze, held double. It was perfect.

Note: The original pattern called for a DK weight yarn, which is what I used. It has since been changed to a worsted weight yarn.

viewed 4997 times | helped 57 people
Finished
December 20 2010
January 2 2011
 
About this pattern
822 projects, in 1699 queues
ItalianDishKnits' overall rating
ItalianDishKnits' clarity rating
ItalianDishKnits' difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Rowan
Lace
70% Mohair, 30% Silk
229 yards / 25 grams

36534 projects

stashed 32652 times

ItalianDishKnits' star rating
About this yarn
by Berroco
Sport
50% Alpaca, 50% Wool
144 yards / 50 grams

9189 projects

stashed 8389 times

ItalianDishKnits' star rating
  • Project created: December 19, 2010
  • Finished: January 2, 2011
  • Updated: February 27, 2011
  • Progress updates: 3 updates