KristinM100 > notebook > projects > Mirri Cowl 1

Project info
Mirri Cowl 1
mirri cowl by Ambah O'Brien
Knitting
Who Can Say?
Modified Long (see notes)
Needles & yarn
US 3 - 3.25 mm
Quince & Co. Finch
1.66 skeins = 366.9 yards (335.5 meters), 83 grams
Pink
Quince and Co.
March 23, 2014
Notes

First Project of the Bust the Stash series!

Because I don’t have the requisite amount of stash yarn to make the long version without modification (I’ve got 365 yards and I want a double wrap, not the neck cuff version i.e. the small), I’ve riffed on Mozuke1’s helpful notes to make a modified size.

I’ve decided to cast on 280 stitches. This meets the requirements of being divisible by 5 (the stitch repeat count for the rib section) and divisible by 8 (the stitch repeat count for the eyelet/body section).

I’ll also do the eyelet repeat 2.5 times instead of 3.5 times - which the of the pattern recommends.

I’m hoping that by diminishing the length of the loop by 40 stitches (i.e. @6 inches) and the width of the loop by 16 rounds (@1.5 inches), I’ll still have a cowl that’s 43 inches long before stretching - long enough for my neck - and 6.5” wide, just about wide enough when doubled around the neck.

Let’s see how it goes…

(FYI: the suggested 320 stitches is also divisible by 5 and 8…)

12-01-2016

No one’s ever going to accuse me of enjoying casting on almost 300 stitches and then joining in the round without twisting. With fingering weight yarn. But I can see that the yarn is going to be lovely with this pattern.

13-01-2016

Fucking hell. I spent an hour and 15 minutes casting on 280 stitches and verifying that the yarn wasn’t twisted on the first and second rows and, guess what, the yarn is twisted. Whatevs. I’m calling it a design feature and keeping on.

16-01-2016

So I love this pattern - just wished I hadn’t twisted the stitches. Next time I make this, that will not happen. I’m going to buy a titanium needle with a better cord (not so twisty) in the hopes of ameliorating the situation next go round.

At the pattern half way point (presuming I were going to make the full, large size - and that’s not possible due to yardage in my stash), I had used 51 g of my original 83. This leaves me with 28g to do the rest of the scarf. That should be doable when I cut out one of the eyelet repeats (as I intended to do from the start).

17-01-2016

Whoa - this went wrong every which way but it’s not because the yarn or pattern were defective. It just all went sideways for no good reason. In the end, the finished project will make a nice gift for someone, but I cannot look at it without seeing the micro-errors and the stress.

In the end I was about 3 yards short of yarn, necessitating one rip back of 10 rows (from the BO row) in order to remove a row in the right spot. Alas, that still didn’t get me all the way through bind off. I ended up using a double-strand of the Koigu KPM in white that I have remaining in my stash to complete the last 25 per cent of the BO row. Strangely, it doesn’t look bad. Nor does that unfortunate twist of the stitches.

27-12-2016

I’m probably going to put this out on the lawn because it just doesn’t meet my standards but rpping it back would be unpleasant and the colour is pretty, but tricky to use.

Update: Actually put it in box of clothes for charity.

viewed 53 times
Finished
January 12 2016
January 19 2016
About this pattern
KristinM100's star rating
KristinM100's difficulty rating
79 projects, in 255 queues
About this yarn
by Quince & Co.
Fingering
100% Wool
221 yards / 50 grams
KristinM100's star rating

3763 projects

stashed 3828 times

  • Originally queued: January 8, 2016
  • Project created: January 12, 2016
  • Finished: January 17, 2016
  • Updated: December 31, 2016
  • Progress updates: 4 updates