Chhattisgarh is my skirt that I have named after a state in central India .
I used 7 pattern repeats (252 sts) to fit hips 36 inches, in yarn gauge of 7.0 sts per inch on 2.75 mm needles.
I originally cast on 238 stitches to make a 15-row garter stitch waist band, but when I ended up short on yarn, I ripped it out to be able to use it for more length for the bottom.
I hadn’t realized that page 7 of 7 had the correct chart (without elephant) that I needed in order to work it with a multiple of 36 but not 72. I knit a solid red row in between chart repeats that should have actually been like row 32. I had more yellow than red left over at the end of this project, which was partly from this error, and partly from the colour proportions in the rest of the chart.
After the 12th row, I did a rough calculation with my kitchen scale based on how much yarn I’d been using, and decided I had enough to get about 4 chart repeats out of it, plus the waistband and pleating. But when I tried it on, I realized that the 4 chart repeats made a skirt that was too short. I went back to recover the yarn from the waistband and replace it with a different waist. I made a couple of attempts to redo the waist band in appropriately complementary yarn. It’s not perfect, but it will do.
The shaping for the pleats was roughly based on the ideas I got from the Flirty Skirty pattern.
I meant to work the elephants into the final repeat, but I realized I couldn’t fit them in as written because of the way I’d designed the pleats. I charted out some smaller elephants, but I couldn’t work them properly into the correct stitch count, so I ended up leaving them off.
I cast this off with the crochet cast off I read about from the Yarn Harlot. I did it this way because I didn’t have enough yarn left, and this cast off takes NO YARN. But it also had the advantage of leaving a very nice tight finish which helps my skirt edges not to roll.