ScaryGirl > notebook > projects > August Antimony

Project info
August Antimony
Antimony Blanket by Brigitte Eaton
Knitting
A
Needles & yarn
US 10 - 6.0 mm
NaturallyCaron.com Country
185 yards in stash
4 skeins = 740.0 yards (676.7 meters), 340 grams
1069910
Blue
Thrift
April 12, 2010
Notes

I owe someone a baby gift. This poor kid is 6 months old; I’m such a slacker. She also grabbed a spot on my FB Pay It Forward list. I think that’s a sign to knit something a little bigger than I normally would.

Shadows on the pictures are from my tree. The blanket is solid color. (Doez not haz photog skillz.) Mistakes were made, but they weren’t huge, and since I didn’t discover them until I was way further along in the process, they were just set free to exist in perfect imperfection. ;)

I like the pattern very much, but wanted to note a couple of things in case I knit it again (which I might--it’s a cool pattern).

  1. This yarn is very soft, and it worked ok for the pattern, but it does not block aggressively, so the XX between the spirals are a little floppy. I would probably leave them out if using this yarn again, and just substitute an eyelet row or something.

  2. Because of the math, the XX rows go right into the spoke section, but not evenly, so some spokes are in the middle of an XX which makes them kind of wonky. I’d probably add a row or two of something else to break the connection, or just leave the XX out completely (more likely).

  3. When I first started this, the pattern author had just published the pattern, and had left out the part with the straight spokes after the XX and before the large spirals. I liked the way it looked, so she gave me a quick run down of what she thought she had done. She has subsequently edited the pattern to include the instructions. The instructions she gave me were general, and I followed them, but did not realize (because it’s not obvious while you’re knitting it), that the spokes didn’t coincide with the beginning of the large spirals. They don’t necessarly have to, and mine are about two or three bubbles in, but I think it would have looked nicer or at least more planned if I had known where they were going to end up. I would definitely make sure they lined up if I were to do it again.

  4. Don’t know how I feel about the bind-off. They’re a little long and look more like nipples than picots. I’m not sure they were intended to be picot length, but with the yarn I used it wasn’t the very best match.

It really was an easy pattern. Very good for memorization, which made it mobile.

viewed 743 times | helped 6 people
Finished
January 14 2011
March 16 2011
 
About this pattern
ScaryGirl's star rating
ScaryGirl's difficulty rating
92 projects, in 539 queues
About this yarn
by NaturallyCaron.com
Aran
75% Acrylic, 25% Merino
185 yards / 85 grams
ScaryGirl's star rating

12345 projects

stashed 7202 times

  • Project created: January 15, 2011
  • Finished: March 17, 2011
  • Updated: October 16, 2014
  • Progress updates: 4 updates