I started with size 7 needles, transitioned to size 6, and then to size 5 before the start of the waist decreases. I used size 5 for the remainder of the sweater.
I started the waist increase 4” after the waist decrease, though in retrospect, I wish I had waited another inch or two.
I continued to knit the sweater in 1 piece up until the armhole bindoffs. In order to do this, though, it meant having to do some of the lace patterning on the wrong-side rows for a little bit.
I left 9 stitches for the neck straps so that there’d be a complete lace panel plus an extra edge stitch on each side for seaming/picking up stitches. I picked up stitches for the neck edging and then knit it in the round.
I started the sleeves with size 5 needles; switched to size 6 after 8 lace repeats; and switched to size 7 after 6 additional repeats. For this size, I didn’t see any advantage to decreasing the sleeve cap asymmetrically to get an odd number of stitches, so I didn’t do the extra decrease.
The yarn is a pretty cotton-wool blend. It feels more like cotton while knitting but blocks beautifully and softens up. This particular color did release dye during washing, so watch for that.