I marked this as a pattern of medium difficulty, not because any of the techniques are difficulty, but because the vest pattern allows you to use it as a recipe vice a step-by-step exact process. I chose to go off the path and substitute a different cable which drove additional decisions like how many stitches to cast on, how to transition at the shoulder, what kind of cables on the back…you get the picture.
Some advice -- either knit both pieces at the same time or actually take notes on what you decide to do. Also, charting out that shoulder transition would be really clever. Yes, you guessed why I recommend this -- I didn’t (because I could remember what I did, ha!) and I ended up doing a significant amount of rework. I even discovered at the very end of knitting that I had used 4 ribs to set off the edge cable when on the first piece I had used 5. I decided to leave it -- unless you look and count, you won’t notice. Plus it gave the project it’s name, Vice Versatile, which implies you can have some variety apart from opposites when you go vice versa!
Also, I ran out of yarn and couldn’t finish out the tilde fins on the back side. I still like the results, a curved hem on the back vice an angular one, but I should have thought about the fact that I was making the tildes wider than the sample and therefore would need more yarn.