The first two rounds of the CROWN shaping should be changed to the following:
Next rnd: Work each stitch as it presents itself (keeping front and back panels in St st and side panels in Twisted Rib) to last 2 sts. same as printed
Dec rnd: Removing existing markers as you come to them, work cdd, pm, work as set to 1 st before next marker, pm, work cdd, knit to 2 sts before next marker, work cdd, pm, work as set to 1 st before next marker, pm, work cdd, knit to end. 8 sts dec’d.
For your child’s next hat, try this interesting take on a classic ribbed beanie. The crown was inspired by the raglan construction of a sweater shoulder and is shaped from the sides inwards instead of the usual spiral.
- Intermediate difficulty – Knit, purl, working in the round, simple decreases.
- Finished circumference 14 (16, 18, 20, 22) in / 35.5 (40.5, 45.5, 51, 56) cm. Shown in size 18 in.
- To fit head circumference 16 (18, 20, 22, 24) in / 40.5 (45.5, 51, 56, 61) cm.
- Yarn 1 ball of Knit Picks Swish Worsted (100% superwash merino wool, 110 yds/101m per 50g ball); #24297 Allspice.
- Needles US #7 (4.5mm) short circular needles or a set of dpns. Adjust needle size as needed to obtain correct gauge. Stitch markers, yarn needle, spare needle for 3-needle bind off.
- GAUGE 18 sts and 26 rnds = 4 in / 10cm in St st.