Legend has it that the beauty of the Kalayan Minaret, in Bukhara, Uzbekistan, is so inspiring that it was the only structure spared by Genghis Khan when he razed the city in the thirteenth century. Looking at it today, it’s not difficult to see why this might be true. From its base to the top of its rotunda—approximately 150 feet—section upon section of intricate detailing covers the exterior. It’s this eclectic combination of decorative stonework which was the inspiration for the stranded colorwork bands on these mittens.
- knitting and purling
- increasing and decreasing
- working small circumferences in the round (i.e. DPNs, magic loop or two-circular techniques)
- stranded knitting
- chart reading
- specialized colourwork cast-on (explained in the issue)
(yardages given are approximates)
- small: 105 yards of MC and 95 yards of CC
- medium: 120 yards of MC and 110 yards of CC
- large: 140 yards of MC and 125 yards of CC
Yarn Knit Picks Palette (100% wool; 231 yd 211 m/1 3/4 oz 50 g): #24559 oyster heather (MC) and #23999 ivy (CC), 1 ball each. Yarn distributed by Crafts Americana.
Needles Size 1 1/2 (2.5 mm): set of double-pointed (dpn). Adjust needle size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.
Notions Markers (m); stitch holder; tapestry needle.