- 120-170 yards / 110-155 meters worsted or aran weight yarn
- size US 6-8 (4-5mm) needles for working flat, or size to get gauge for small, medium, or large height
- a crochet hook and scrap yarn
- an extra circular needle (any length) the same size or smaller by up to a few sizes
- a cable needle (or work cables without one)
- a blunt yarn needle
The samples are in: Harrisville Highland (Mustard, 100% wool, worsted weight, 1 skein); Cestari Traditional Collection, 2 Ply (Natural Light Gray, 100% wool, aran weight, 1 skein).
Gauge, in garter stitch (blocked):
- small height: 20 sts, 33 rows per 4 inches / 10 cm
- medium height: 18 sts, 31 rows per 4 inches / 10 cm
- large height: 16 sts, 29 rows per 4 inches / 10 cm
The three gauges, making three heights, will make for varying amounts of slouchiness.
- small height = approx 8 inches / 20 cm
- medium height = approx 8.5 inches / 21.5 cm
- large height = approx 9 inches / 23 cm
Circumference can be adjusted and custom fit to your head. The pattern gives measurements for small/medium/large circumferences for each gauge option, and also give notes on customizing your size.
Yardage depends on size and gauge; less yardage for smaller height and circumference sizes, more yardage for larger sizes.
The whole pattern is written and charted.
There are technique instructions and/or links to photo/video tutorials for all techniques used (provisional cast-on, cables, short rows).
The simple cables used are easy to work without a cable needle.