Pattern description from One Skein: “I was so inspired by the knitted cupcakes on the cover of the 2004 edition of the Anthropologie holiday catalog that I decided to design my own version. After sifting through my stash of smooth yarns for the “papers,’ novelty yarns for the ‘icing,’ and buttons for the decorations, came up wit an assortment of knitted confections that would do a pastry chef proud. Although each cupcake knits up quickly, be forewarned - they tend to multiply.”
Finished Size: About 3” (7.5 cm) diameter at base, 4” (10 cm) diameter at top, and 3.5” (9 cm) tall.
- Base: DK or light worsted-weight (CYCA Light #3) yarn
- Top: Chunky-weight (CYCA Bulky #5) yarn.
- Base: Size 5 (3.75 mm): set of 4 or 5 double-pointed (dpn).
- Top (frosting): size 9 (5.5 mm): set of 4 or 5 dpn.
- Exact gauge is not critical for this project; select a needle size that will make a tight enough fabric to prevent stuffing from showing.
Notions: Tapestry needle; polyester fiberfill (4 oz 114 g will stuff about 9 cupcakes); assorted buttons and/or seed beads for embellishments; sewing needle and thread.
Gauge: Depending on the yarn used, about 24-26 sts and 23-28 rows = 4” (10 cm) in k1, p1 rib using smaller needles.