Gnome is where the ♥ is
Pattern includes directions for all versions of the gnome and the heart~
Knit in any weight yarn these make wonderful little keepsake ornaments as well as being terrific toppers for gifts or handmade goodies from the kitchen like jams, breads & cookie plates! They will look fantastic on the holiday tree or string them all together for some gnometastic garland. Each piece requires so little yardage that it’s a great way to play with your favorite indie dyed yarn and they are perfect for those mini-skeins you’ve got piled up in your stash!
My small gnome & heart samples knit w/fingering weight yarn measure 2.75” tall & 2.25” wide.
My large gnome & heart samples knit w/worsted weight yarn measure 5” tall & 4” wide
Note - these are worked seamlessly in the round! No sewing required. The gnomes are knit from the bottom up and the hearts from the top down. You stuff as you go! Quick, easy & fun project~
-Judy’s magic Cast-On - Link to tutorial. If you are uncomfortable with this technique you can cast-on & join to work in the round, then whipstitch the bottom closed after the knitting is complete ☺
You need a firm fabric when knitting stuffies so the polyfil won’t poke through. I suggest going down 1 to 2 sizes from the smallest needle size recommended on the yarn label. I typically use a US 5 or 6 for Worsted weight, US 3 or 4 for a DK and US 0 or 1 for fingering. Everyone knits differently, so as long as you are getting a dense fabric, you are good to go.
Materials & Tools:
- Any weight yarn - Approx. 20 - 25 yds of a MC and CC
- US 5 or 6 needles for Worsted OR US 0 or 1 for Fingering - this project can be worked on DPN’s, 2 Circs or a 40” circular for Magic Loop (my preferred method) Just make sure to distribute your stitches evenly for working in the round.
- tapestry needle for weaving in ends
- stitch marker for marking the beginning of the round and/or front of your work (optional)
- safety eyes (my Worsted Weight samples used 12mm & my Fingering Weight samples 6mm from Etsy seller 6060) OR craft eyes OR buttons
- Yarn scraps for girl gnomes hair
I hope you enjoy Gnome is where the ♥ is! happy knitting & creating,
~Susan aka NoKnitSherlock ♥